Grilled Mackerel with Grain Mustard and warm Potato Salad
Thursday, May 31st, 2012
I first me Chef Joe at Tideswell School of Food where he was teaching and I attended a fillet-a-fish course. We made this dish (my fillets were less than perfect, but still grilled nicely) so I felt I had to include the recipe here!
Ingredients (per person)
8 new potatoes, boiled and kept warm
3 cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 teaspoon capers, soaked
salt and pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard
half a clove of garlic
1 teaspoon finely chopped chives
- Carefully fillet the mackerel.
- Place the fillets on a lightly oiled tray, skin side up and drizzle with a little oil and season. Place under a very hot grill until the skin is lightly blackened in places and blistering. The flesh will be cooked. Alternatively place skin side down on a bbq. Leave to rest for a few minutes.
- Mix the dressing ingredients togetner.
- Slice the new potatoes into discs, add the tomatoes and capers. Mix with enough dressing to coat the salad and season.
- Place the salad in the centre of the plate then place the mackerel fillet on top, drizzle with a little left over dressing and sprinkle with finely chopped chives.